Saturday, February 2, 2013

Super Bowl Chili

I go to church at Smyrna First United Methodist Church.  The Methodist Church has an organization called United Methodist Women (UMW).  My grandmother was a member of the UMW.  The UMW is comprised of Circles.  My grandmother belonged to the Dora Reynolds Circle.  I remember her going to meet with her friends.  I knew that magic occurred there as she returned home in high spirits. 

My circle is called the Willing Workers.  In Proverbs, there is a verse that says, "She seeks wool and flax and works with willing hands."  Well, we don't spin wool, but we do work willingly.  This group of women works harder than any group of people I know.  We have two fundraisers a year and the proceeds are used to help needy families in the community. 

One of the fundraisers is our chili luncheon on Super Bowl Sunday.  Our circle has a secret recipe that I can't share, but I thought I'd share some pictures of my preparation. 





Peppers... yellow, orange and red.  I picked up a six-pack at Sam's yesterday.  The gourmet yellow, orange and red peppers were less expensive than the green ones.  I sauteed them in olive oil, seasoned them, and put them into the big cooker. 




Chopped purple onions ready for the sautee pan.  I choose purple for my son who is an ardent Raven's fan.  (They also add great flavor to the chili.)





The chili cooking and the house smells awesome.  You didn't think I would really give you the secret recipe, did you?  

This pot is 15" wide and 21" long.  That's a whole lot of chili! 

It's going to be chilly (pun, intended) in the morning so hopefully, we will have a lot of customers!

No comments:

Post a Comment